Supporting people with Cri du Chat Syndrome and their families



If you receive the higher-rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, you can use part or all of it to pay for a car on the Motability scheme.

Motability lets you get a new car that meets your needs, without the cost of servicing, tax, insurance, breakdown and so on; all you need to pay for is fuel. Once approved, the cost of the car is taken out of your mobility benefit. Larger vehicles will have an up-front price on top of this.

Many car dealerships will have a motability specialist, who can help you apply. You will need at least 12 months remaining on your DLA claim.

You can find the list of available vehicles on the Motability website. You can also contact them on 01279 635666.


Vehicle adaptations are not normally necessary, though some children may need supporting seats. Advice can be sought from your Occupational Therapist.

Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge scheme gives you help with parking your car, such as the use of disabled spaces. Most people with CdCS will qualify for a blue badge. Note that in most cases, you do still have to pay for parking (unless you are in a tax-exempt car, such as one from Motability).

To apply, visit the Blue Badge page.

Toll Roads

Tax-exempt vehicles may be exempt from various toll charges, such as the M6 toll or the Dartford Crossing toll. See the Blue Badge Company tolls page for more details on each scheme.

Train Travel

National Rail

If you need any assistance from staff while travelling, get in touch with National Rail, ideally more than 24 hours before. This is particularly important if your journey includes getting on or off a train at an unstaffed station.

  • Telephone: 0845 7484 950
  • Textphone: 0845 6050 600

Mainline trains

On mainline (intercity, suburban and cross-country) trains there is a space designed for wheelchair users to travel in safety and comfort. You must always use this space and should apply your brakes when the vehicle is moving. If you use a powered wheelchair, you should make sure that the power is switched off when travelling.

Local and regional services

Most trains can accommodate wheelchair users and new trains also have facilities to assist sensory impaired people, for example public information systems that are both visual and audible.

London Underground

There is information about the accessibility of stations on Transport for London’s website.


People with disabilities in England can apply for a free bus pass. To apply, visit the page.