Supporting people with Cri du Chat Syndrome and their families


If you have impairment or a health condition that makes living alone difficult, making some adaptations to your home or getting extra support may help you to live in your own home.

Living in your own home

You have the right for your needs to be assessed by the social services department of your local council. Following a health and social care assessment, an occupational therapist may recommend types of equipment and ideas for adapting your home.

You may be entitled to financial help, such as a Disabled Facilities Grant, to pay for adaptations or improvements to your home.

See for more information.

Independent Living

There are difficult choices to be made as whether adults with CdCS stay with their families or go into independent living or sheltered accommodation; at each stage a multi-agency team (health, social services, educational) will assess the needs of all and come to a decision as to what is the best outcome for the person with CdCS, families and carers.