Supporting people with Cri du Chat Syndrome and their families


Preschool & Nursery

Most preschools and nurseries can accommodate children with CdCS, with the appropriate staffing and key worker help.


Most children with CdCS will be best-suited to a school that is set up for pupils with special needs. Some have been able to attend mainstream schools, but very few.

Before your child starts school, you will go through the process to get a Statement of Special Educational Needs, often just called a statement. This is a process where the council will do a statutory assessment of your child’s educational needs, and then make sure that they attend the right sort of school, and the school has what your child needs.

The process can be fairly long and complex, and as a parent you may have to fight your corner to make sure your child gets what you want.

There is a lot of information on the statementing process on the website.

School Transport

Transport to schools for disabled children will normally be provided by your local authority. They will assess and provide any special seating if your child requires it.

The National Parent Partnership

The National Parent Partnership Service offers impartial advice, information and support to parents/carers of children and young people with special educational needs. They are very helpful and can often save you hours of worry by simply knowing who you need to contact for what. They will also liaise on your behalf with schools/LEAs. Simply visit the Parent Partnership website to find your local contact.