Supporting people with Cri du Chat Syndrome and their families

Help for Carers

If you provide a regular and substantial amount of care for someone aged 18 or over, you can ask the social services department in your local council for a carer’s assessment.

Respite: Your Rights and Breaks from Caring

Breaks or time off from caring are vital. Whether it’s an hour every day, a couple of hours a week or a two-week holiday, we all need some time to ourselves, and carers are no exception. Breaks for carers are meant to give you time off from your caring role as well as enable you to do something that you want to do for yourself.

The Carers Equal Opportunities Act (2004) was introduced to ensure that you have the support you need to achieve a better balance in your life. The Act gives you the right to ask the local authority of the person you look after for a carer’s assessment of your needs.

Carer’s Assessments

During a carer’s assessment, the local authority social services team will ask you about your work, learning and leisure requirements. They will then decide if you are entitled to any services that could make caring easier for you. Further information can be found on