Supporting people with Cri du Chat Syndrome and their families

Financial Help

There are many sources of financial help available. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can help with advice on finance and benefits, if you need it.

Disability Living Allowance

DLA is a benefit provided to people under 65 with long term health problems which affect their everyday activities. It is not means tested, and not affected by any other benefits. It can be up to several hundred pounds per month, and is tax-free.

It is split into two components; care and mobility. Each is assessed separately, and there is a different allowance for each. The application form is fairly long, and you might want help to fill it in.

See the DLA pages for more details.

Personal Independence Payments

DLA for adults (over 16) is being gradually replaced by the new Personal Independence Payment. See the page on PIP for details.

Carer’s Allowance

If you care for someone who receives DLA for more than 35 hours a week, you may also qualify for Carer’s Allowance. This is taxable, and can affect other benefits, but is much easier to apply for than DLA.

See the Carer’s Allowance pages for more details.

Direct Payments

If you get help from your local social services, and would prefer to arrange and pay for your own care services instead of getting them directly from the council, you can choose to receive direct payments instead. You must be able to give consent to receiving direct payments, and be able to manage them even if you need help to do this on a day-to-day basis.

See the direct payments page for more details, and to start the application process.

Family Fund

The Family Fund helps families with children with special needs to have choices and the opportunity to enjoy ordinary life – giving grants for things that make life easier for the child and their family, such as washing machines, driving lessons, hospital visiting costs, computers and holidays. They will consider funding anything connected to bringing up a child with a disability.

Visit their website for more information.